I transferred a Magento installation, from staging to localhost, for further development. I imported the database, changed the “local.xml” for username and password. Checked the front-end, voila! it was working, but later when i tried to login on the Admin panel, it showed up as “404: Page Not Found”. This kept on showing up, irrespective of what I tried.
After few research over the web, i came around the solution, which I am posting here, for other magento noobs like me 🙂
the solution is pretty easy, you just got to change few values in the database, you can use either use the query provided below, or alter them manually, whatever suits you.
UPDATE `core_store` SET store_id = 0 WHERE code='admin';
UPDATE `core_store_group` SET group_id = 0 WHERE name='Default';
UPDATE `core_website` SET website_id = 0 WHERE code='admin';
UPDATE `customer_group` SET customer_group_id = 0 WHERE customer_group_code='NOT LOGGED IN';